Monday, February 9, 2009

Technology changes everything

The time has come that our society depends on the use of technology to function quickly and effectively. The next generation of children will never know life without a computer and their technological skills continue to be enhanced by the changing information age. Therefore, it is our job as educators to implement technology within the curriculum on a daily basis. Change is inevitable in the education system due to the constant advancements of technology. I am an advocate for technology as it expands students' thinking and better prepare them for the future. Our challenge as educators is to stay "caught up" with the kids....also known as technology natives.

I reflect back to my own educational journey using technology as a student...

Attending a K-8 rural school, we were fortunate to have two computer labs composed of the Apple Computers. The popular games consisted of the Oregon Trail and Number Munchers. We were excited when the green monitors eventually became outdated when the color arrived. I will never forget an exciting Christmas morning when Santa had brought a new Apple computer along with numerous floppy disks (the real floppy disks, not the 3 1/2 x 5 inch).

Image taken from solarnavigator.net

During middle school, I remained at the same K-8 school and it was amazing how much the expectations regarding technology had changed. We purchased new IBM PC's and the graphics were very detailed. All of us were enthralled by the new and improved Oregon Trail. We attended computer lab class at least once a week and North Carolina implemented the required computer test of eighth graders the year I left for high school (relieved at the time). Upon entering high school, I took the basic typing classes along with computer application courses, I am still grateful for that particular training because it helped me with many assignments in college. During this time, my aunt was the first one in Highfalls to understand and have access to the World Wide Web, so I spent hours at her house beginning my first experience with chatting and surfing the net. She still remains to be a "computer geek" and I am indebted to her for providing me a love of technology. It is ironic how different she and my dad are regarding technology (that is another story).

Of course after graduating high school in 1999, Y2K was about to occur and there was a panic in society since the computers were not programmed for the new millennium. Well, the end of the world didn't happen when 01/01/00 approached. As a future teacher at Appalachian State University, I became extremely appreciative of online lesson plans and the convenience of finding research articles in my dorm room instead of walking in the bitter cold to the library. My friends and I also loved the new AOL Instant Messenger, which allowed us to communicate via Internet and typing. This was basically the myspace or facebook for us during that time. We used instant messaging to talk with friends across the state or just roommates next door. No, we didn't have texting then...The Reich College of Education required all education majors to complete a technology portfolio before graduating, so I took a class to ensure this was completed in a timely manner. It also prepared me for beneficial technology needs in my future classroom.

Technology was important in my classroom, and my career aspirations included integrating technology in all subject areas. I walked into various classrooms that had new interactive smartboards, and I wanted one ASAP! After talking with the technology director of Montgomery County Schools, she provided me with a smartboard and projector (which was quickly mounted in my classroom). I created innovative lessons using this piece of technology to enhance my instruction. As always, technology can be consider a friend and foe, and there were many instances that the smartboard experienced "technical difficulties." After four years of remaining on the same hall, I had to switch to fifth grade and was not allowed to take the smartboard with me. I have felt lost without it, especially since our K-3 teachers recently receive Promethean Boards in each of his/her classrooms. Mrs. Binns remains generous by allowing us to use her board at anytime!

I think the most obvious sign of technology changing everything was watching my own father try to understand how to use his new smart board. Dad was one of the lucky two teachers to receive this interactive piece of technology, and he was terrified how to make the transition from a chalkboard (yes, a green chalkboard) to a computer device that would do everything for him. Will, who teaches history at Asheboro High School, uses his smart board daily so he became dad's tutor one Sunday afternoon. Will showed Dad how to put the Periodic Table on the smart board where students could circle the elements and even fill in the blanks. Even though Dad teaches all content from his head, Dad could start saving his challenging questions for each of his classes. Following the brief lesson, I could tell by looking at my father's face he was a little overwhelmed, but remained excited about this new presentation of information. I told Will to slow down since my dad just now mastered checking his email....


This example exemplifies how our veteran teachers are taking the challenge of meeting the needs of a completely different generation of children than 30 years ago. I admire each of these educators who are working diligently to "stay caught up with technology" as it continues to change everyday. The students will continue to teach us about the current trends of the changing information age.

Our communication has changed from technology as the students are creating facebook pages to simply network with one another. There have been many debates about these networking tools, but we must realize this is the new way to communicate. I was completely shocked when my students have discussed their own myspace pages! I just reminded them to be safe on the Internet and only choose "friends" they know and trust.

As time progresses, it is inevitable that teachers must stay updated with technological trends and issues. We will be required to attend extra staff development to ensure we are providing our students with effective 21st century skills. Education has changed significantly within the last few year regarding taking college online classes and high school students are already receiving credit before even stepping foot on a college campus.

We have come a long way from the Oregon Trail....

No comments:

Post a Comment