Monday, June 15, 2009

Denmark-Part 2

It was refreshing to have a shower and some rest before leaving for the Newark airport AGAIN. I was eager to be on a plane to Europe. Instead of flying straight to Denmark, some us had a layover in Paris and Amsterdam. I was disappointed separating from everyone, but those were the only confirmed seats available to get us to Copenhagen. I was assigned with the group going to Paris with hopes of seeing the Eiffel Tower and the Mona Lisa---bust as with my luck, I stared at airport walls the entire day. It took approximately seven hours to reach Paris and then the time change began now becoming Monday morning (6 hours ahead). One stop closer to Copenhagen, even though upon our arrival, we were made aware that we were once again not confirmed. This equated leaving Paris at 8:00pm instead of 3:30 that afternoon...ughh!

It was surreal to finally be in Europe and I became the typical American tourist still glancing at gift shops and challenging myself to eat something authentic from the cafe. I even tried to practice French language, since that was the only foreign language I took in high school. So I only understood oui "yes" and bon voyage "have a good trip!"
When we descended in Copenhagen, the view was breathtaking---the windmills, the water, and the beautiful landforms of Denmark. I had to remind myself that it was still daylight at 9:30pm, which really made it difficult to adjust to the time difference.

We considered ourselves fortunate that our luggage was at the baggage claim (remember our bad luck) and we waited for a taxi. It was obvious we were in Europe since every cab was a Mercedes. I also noticed that all the cars were smaller, no SUV's. The smaller, the better!




When arriving to the CabInn, we were happily greeted by the rest of our friends and colleagues. We looked at each other sleepily and went immediately to bed. The hotel rooms were no different from the cars---extremely small! I immediately went back to my college days because it reminded me of my dorm room. Cindi had luckily figured out how the lights worked (you have to put your room key into a slot), along with the faucet and shower. We also maneuvered our suitcases and travel items to make sure we had enough room to walk. Sleep sounded wonderful and stayed tuned for the many adventures in Denmark!

Video of our hotel room at the CabInn:


Lesson Learned:
We are not in America anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment