Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cindi Rigsbee makes the news AGAIN!


Exactly a year ago, Cindi Rigsbee was just a name and face on the DPI website. To me, she was just the Piedmont Regional Teacher of the Year from Orange County who was my "competition" for the NC Teacher of the Year. After all nine regional finalists had been announced, Cindi was the first one to send an email to all her "new BFF's." At that moment, I knew she was a natural leader and one who just loved people. That email was the beginning of a strong friendship among nine exceptional educators from the coast to the mountains. We share our backgrounds and interests while expressing our disbelief of making it this far in the Teacher of the Year process. Cindi is the one I credit for creating this instant bond...Judging from Cindi's personality, I knew that she and I would click immediately. I was right. Plus, some of her family roots were in northern Moore County and her father is actually laid to rest in the Robbins Cemetery.

In February we came together for the first time as a team to work for the Teacher Working Conditions Survey. It was great to finally put the names and faces with personalities. These individuals were no longer strangers and I was humbled to be part of this group. During this meeting, Cindi asked inquisitive questions throughout the entire meeting regarding the important survey given to teachers across the state. This confirmed the fact she was updated with current educational trends and didn't mind sharing her teacher voice. My gut feeling already told me she deserved the state teacher of the year recognition.

The next couple of months I was able to keep in contact with Cindi (along with various team members) regularly. I even called to ask if her daughter, Kelli, would speak with one of my students about her cheerleading experiences with the Carolina Panthers TopCats. Uniqua's story revolved around cheering for the Panthers, so Kelli's phone call changed her life (and writing) forever. I am indebted to Cindi and Kelli for this favor.
Well the end of April arrived quickly and the state competition was here! I arrived nervously at the hotel in Raleigh to prepare for three days of extensive interviews and speeches. Cindi was the last one to interview on Day #2, and she claimed to be nervous. I am sure after TAP dancing (Teachers Are Professionals) and sharing her stories in her beautiful white suit, there is no doubt she amazed every judge in the room.

It was no surprise to me when Cindi Rigsbee's name was announced by Dr. Atkinson as our new NC Teacher of the Year. Dressed in red, she stood out among the crowd, and made a speech that made everyone smile and cry, but mostly laugh. I didn't leave the ballroom upset at all that evening because I knew she would represent all North Carolina teachers well. I remained excited about learning from her and the other phenomenal teachers on my team.

The one thing I can always say about Cindi is she never ceases to amaze me with her adventures and luck! Since September she has been on Good Morning America after discovering her long lost teacher from 40 years ago, she has traveled from Manteo to Murphy speaking to teachers, community members, and college studetns, and now she is one of the four finalists for National Teacher of the Year.



When she called me yesterday morning to tell me the great news, I wasn't a bit surprised. Even though I was extremely sick from all the germs spreading around my school (and antibiotics from the doctor), I made the trek to Orange County in Efland at Gravellly Hill Middle School just to give the famous teacher a congratulations hug. She is not only my colleague, role model, and traveling clogging buddy, she remains my BFF...



So now google "Cindi Rigsbee" and see what appears...an educator who has excelled in our profession and who has dedicated her life to children. No longer just a face and name on the DPI website, but an inspiration to all teachers. I can already predict Cindi's influence and luck will not end here...Barack Obama will be honored that day to shake the hand of the lady in red as she will make our country proud of public education.

No comments:

Post a Comment