Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hey Ms. Caviness!

Yesterday, I entered West Montgomery Middle School Gymnasium for the first time in three years. As soon as I walked in the door, I heard screams of "HEY MS CAVINESS!" It was obvious these were the screams of my first fourth grade class before I became Mrs. Muse. Now, they are eighth graders! At that moment, I realized the meaning of "time flying by too quickly." I have taught only five years, each year in Montgomery County, and it made me sad to see my kids all grown up. Imagine when they get to high school and enter adulthood.

The atmosphere was just like I had remembered when Will was a coach and teacher there. The lobby was still buzzing with excited Wolverine fans, but now mostly of young adolescents texting on cell phones and Ipods on their side. Most of these kids were my former fourth graders now towering over me. As always, they made me feel like a movie star embracing me with hugs and informing me of the latest middle school gossip. I repeated a million times: "Gosh, I feel old" or "What have they been feeding you?"

My core reason for being at the game was to watch former students cheer along with some who played basketball (both boys and girls). I decided to take two of my current fifth graders who have an interest in cheerleading, so I thought it would be the perfect experience. It was probably a little overwhelming for the girls because the gym was double the size of Page Street and we could barely find a seat due to the amount of people present. As I watched the West Middle girls take the win over South Stanley, I noticed the huge banner that still hung on the walls that reads "2004 Rocky River Conference Champions and Tournament Champions, Record 12-0." This instantly made me go back to the undefeated season that Will had with a talented group of boys. I was the devote fiance and new wife during that time, and didn't miss a game as I kept score trying to remain calm during those "nail biter games." As I was leaving the gym, one of those boys, told me to come to the trophy case. He immediately pointed to the team picture and game winning basketball from that unforgettable season. Now a junior, this young man emphasized they were the best basketball team that ever left West Middle School. As I glanced at the picture, that same feeling came over me as it did with my own former students. Those were my boys too and now they have grown into young men most of them now seniors. Some making the right choices while some drifted onto a much different path. It is unfortunate that less than half of that talented team is playing basketball at the high school. Will left the middle school that same year and coached most of them for one year during their JV season before leaving the county. It was never the same as that season.



When leaving the middle school that evening, I reminded myself to savor every moment of now with the group of kids we teach and influence. Change is inevitable and things are never the same...so those eighth graders will remain fourth graders in my eyes forever as I hope to see them excel in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment