Thursday, March 19, 2009

Get Knocked Down, Get Up Again


After surviving throughout the entire week of constant coughs, runny nose, body aches, and headaches I finally realized that a doctor's visit was desperately needed. It became time to slow down for a change and take time to rest for me. Since there is never enough time to make an appointment to see a primary care doctor during the day, I managed to make it to Urgent Care. Just as Cindi predicted (she had heard me coughing the night before over the phone) I have bronchitis...just something else to "mark off" the list. However, with the help of strong antibiotics and hot chicken noodle soup I was able to make it through another day of school. I only had to take five cough drops today instead of thirty.

Teachers are prone to all of the contagious germs that enter the school building, but it is inevitable our immune systems become stronger and stronger every year. We become warriors against illnesses, but at this time of the year we remain exhausted, so it becomes difficult to fight off the sicknesses. Teachers also know how crucial it is teach each valuable lesson, so we force ourselves to not take the sick day. It would be interesting to research the health of teachers during a school year because we have a habit of sacrificing our own health to ensure the job responsibilities are fulfilled.

I was determined to be in the classroom throughout this entire week because we had to finish our pen pal letters, start measurement in math, begin a new theme in reading, and complete my Social Studies National Board video taping session. Of course, it is always nerve racking for any type of video recording, especially when I know the deadline is quickly approaching for these entries. I exerted most of my energy to use my voice during the lesson, but the students took charge of their learning making the lesson successful. Their discussions were so intense and intriguing that I didn't have to use my voice, which proves the most beneficial learning. They became my vocal chords because each student already knew what I was thinking...

We get knocked down, just get up again...

No comments:

Post a Comment