Sunday, March 1, 2009

The wisest man I have ever known

We have all looked up to our grandparents because they are probably the "wisest" people as they have experienced the joys and challenges of life. As I would say, they have "been there, done that." As children, our grandparents hung the moon because they not only spoil us rotten, but they serve as other positive role models who have a tremendous impact on our lives. This is no exception with my own grandfather, Theron Caviness. He has lived in Northern Moore County throughout his entire life, and he will still tell you there is no place like "Caviness Town." I was blessed growing up in this same area because we only lived a mile from Papaw, so there were many times Daddy would put Beth and I on the tractor or 4-wheeler to visit him. For 40 years, my grandfather worked tirelessly in Robbins Mill while also maintaining a farm with cows, chickens, and hogs. He and his family lived by Deep River, which helped with agricultural needs and even provided entertainment for youngsters during this time period.

As a child, I used to love listening to Papaw tell stories about his own childhood. I had to complete a fifth grade olden days project as a student, and I have hours of audio recordings with Papaw expressing his thoughts about how life has changed since he was a young boy. My grandfather even visited my class that same year and brought antiques to show my classmates how they used to live without the conveniences and technology we have today. This will probably be one of the most memorable projects I have ever completed because it provided me with rich family history and now I have a greater appreciation of my Caviness roots. I have tried to instill this thoughtfulness with my own students encouraging them to talk with their own grandparents or older family members to gain insight about their own family traditions.

Within the last few weeks, our class has discussed the differences and similarities between President Franklin D. Roosevelt and President Barack Obama. We talked about the economic crisis of the Great Depression and compared it to the turmoil our own families are facing presently. Instead of just reading about the Great Depression, I decided to invite Papaw to share about his own experiences during this difficult time.

The students compiled questions to ask Papaw, not only about the Great Depression, but about what life was like 60 years ago. My 84-year old grandfather slowly walked down the hall and it seemed as if a celebrity had entered our classroom. The students were captivated with his stories, especially his silly jokes (Papaw is known for his jokes). He told the kids that even though all the communities were struggling financially during the students by relating to them and reminded them that he was young once. He told them instead of playing video games for fun, he would ride a mule across a river (even though that was his only means of transportation). He and and his brothers formed a bluegrass band after learning various instruments that entertained the entire Highfalls community. He never received more than one gift Christmas, but was grateful for having food on the table throughout the entire year after working on the farm for hours.
He stressed the importance of getting an education and to enjoy every moment of school. He attended school in a one-room school house with a heater in the middle of the room for warmth during the winter months. He did obtain a high school education, but never went to college. He claimed the most inspiring people he ever met was at Campbell University, where my father attended in 1970. I am convinced that my grandfather encouraged my father to pursue his education, and my dad graduated with a bachelor and master degree in science. My father also stressed the value of education with me at a young age, and the love of learning continues!

I was amazed at the eager hands raised to ask more questions about the life of my grandfather. I was probably the one most enticed by Theron Caviness that afternoon. It made me proud to be a Caviness.

No comments:

Post a Comment