Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thanks Mama

"Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease." ~Lisa Alther

I probably should have saved this blog entry for Mother's Day in May, but my thoughts would not allow me to go to bed before writing first. Tonight I experienced "motherhood" firsthand by spending the evening at the Binns household. How do mamas manage to take kids to softball practice, church, cook dinner, complete homework, bath time, and read a story...all before bed? I have a better appreciation of parents, and have decided that I will start building up more energy before I have my own children. Any mother should be considered "Super Woman!"
"I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine-she helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights." ~Adabella Radici

Today I spent the entire afternoon with my mama as she helped me prepare for yet another classroom (school) event. She spent her morning off from work at the hospital trying to catch up on cleaning and laundry while taking care of my sister's dog before coming to Page Street at 12:30 to help fifth grade with the glamour shots fundraiser. She managed to dig in her closet to discover the sparkling clogging outfits and her old cheerleading uniform for the girls, since she just experienced this problem a few weeks ago at the wax museum. She became the hostess by taking up money and making the students excited about their photographs. She recorded each name and rewrote the list again to make sure everything was organized. When the bell rang at 3:00 after extended day, she helped me tidy up the classroom since I was going to be out the next two days. She sanitized each student desk and organized my book shelves while I was able to complete sub plans. Finally at 6:00 we walked out of the school building and I treated her to Zeno's, which is her favorite! Upon returning her to the car, she was still going to stop by Beth's house to take by her contact and let Ally (Beth's dog) out. This is just one day! I could probably make the day even longer if you count my 2 phone calls on the way home just to share a frustrating occurrence that day and to get her opinion.

"A mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled." ~Emily Dickinson

As all of you know, my mama doesn't miss anything! Believe it or not, she has always been this supportive. She never missed a school play, sporting event, or awards ceremony while my sister and I were growing up. She was the director of the Highfalls Cloggers practicing once a week and traveling with middle school girls across the state. She did this job for free by the way for ten years! It was obvious to find mom in the audience during our performances because she was on the floor bobbing her head up and down. My fondest memories were our clogging trips! She instilled this love of dance within myself to eventually become a clogging instructor. She made sure our house was always clean because we never knew which group of kids would just drop in, even my dad's chemistry students at Christmas time for the annual Pictionary game. Everyone referred to 179 Grover Road as "Grand Central Station." She ironed every shirt and pair of pants in our closets (sometimes even underwear...haha), and even found time to label my dad's clothes since he is severely color blind. She made scrapbooks of every picture taken for easy access to our wonderful memories. Oh, did I mention she worked full time as a microbiologist at Moore Regional Hospital? The list goes on and on...maybe that is why Will Muse calls her the "wind up toy" because she never stops!

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." ~Abraham Lincoln

27 years later, my mom is still always there. She never misses a basketball game at Peabody Gym when my students are playing this sport for the first time. She makes sure she attends every field trip opportunity to provide additional help. She decorates every year for the end of the year luau. She stays at the clogging studio until dark to make sure Beth doesn't have to lock up by herself. She freezes in the stands with me at Will's baseball games.

I hope to be half the mother Susan Caviness is, and can you imagine how she will be as a grandmother? Wow...will there ever be a day when I will be ready to exert that much energy?

"Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible"
~Marion C. Garretyy, quoted in A Little Spoonful of Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment