Wednesday, April 15, 2009

2nd time around


We have always heard the "second time around" is better, so I hope this is no exception when I turned in my National Board entries again yesterday. I started the National Board journey last year with my wonderful fourth graders and I was hopeful to certify the first time (even though we are all aware that this is a three year process). I attended support session offered by the county along with using my valuable resources (other NB certified teachers---Mrs. Binns). Any teacher who decides to pursue his/her National Board certification will admit that it is a rewarding, but stressful experience. At the beginning, I had many ideas of what to include in my portfolio and even the video taping did not scare me. I felt competent enough to express my teaching through writing, but having to limit my pages became the most difficult. However, in January, I was overwhelmed when I was announced as a regional finalist for the NC Teacher of the Year. Of course I was thrilled, but this added more responsibilities AND writing to my to do list along with teaching everyday. I turned in my National Board "box" on March 31st and prepared for the teacher of the year competition the next month.

Almost eight months later, we received our results...I will never forget the nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach that I could barely breathe when checking my scores on the computer. That day, I was actually attending an informational meeting at Learn NC in Chapel Hill with my other teacher of the year team members (who are all NB certified). Therefore, I was hesitant to check my scores with such influential educators, but it proved to be the best decision to have their support when I missed certification by 4 points. I was so disappointed and frustrated with myself and it didn't help calling my mama and listening to her sob the entire time. It amazed me because the areas that I considered to be my strongest, were scored the least. After days of contemplation and convincing from Will, I decided to try again this year to earn the points. I knew this was once again a busy year, but I know those sweet fourth graders from last year would once again by my cheerleaders in the 5th grade. I only had to redo two entries (social studies and learner/leader/community), so I was determined to work diligently to obtain those few points. Thank goodness for Cindi as she read through Entry 4 at the very last possible minute. She was an expert on that entry after scoring a perfect 4 a few years ago. My husband was also helpful when trying to cut two pages from the social studies commentary.

This opportunity allowed me to reflect on my teaching practices while encouraging me to become a better educator. It also allowed me to instill the lesson of never giving up to my own students. Walking in the classroom to tell the kids that I had failed was probably the hardest! However, they said to do it again and they didn't even mind being videotaped again..haha! They reminded me that a great teacher continues to reach for their dreams.

No matter the outcome of my "2nd time", I have become a stronger teacher who will never let anything stand in the way of my goals. We all say that the "third time" is a charm as well....

No comments:

Post a Comment