Thursday, April 2, 2009

An emotional day

As the end of the year is quickly approaching, I always find myself a little sad to know that 180 days have once again flown by way too fast! A teacher will say the best part about our job is we get to start over every year with new names and faces. However, the same teacher will also admit the worst part is letting the kids go after making close connections with each student. I am one of those teachers who forms an immediate bond with my classes, and it never fails that the last day of school, I am the one with tears in my eyes waving goodbye to the buses. This year will be double tears because I have had these students for two years and it is hard to imagine how difficult it will be on June 10th when they leave Page Street Elementary forever.

So why was today so emotional? Well, I realized that I will not be only losing the sweetest children I have ever taught, but I will be missing the relationship with the parents as well. A few nights ago, I ran into two former students' parents at Zeno's (I always see everyone there) and it was great catching up with their busy lives and to hear what their children were doing in middle school. After spending only a few minutes at their tables, I realized that I not only missed the kids, but the parents as well. Throughout every school year, I make a conscientious effort to involved parents in his/her child's education by inviting them to special events, such as Special Loved Ones Day, to make them realize how special they truly are to the school family. I have been blessed each year with many supportive parents, and their encouragement is one of the major reasons I love my job!

Therefore, when I first saw Mr. and Mrs. Scott Fields walk in the door tonight for Parent/Teacher Conferences, I just sat there and cried. I stayed emotional through every parent meeting, so I am apologizing for my "weepiness" to all of my parents (and students).

Prior to conferences today, I had the opportunity to attend the NC Wachovia Principal of the Year Luncheon in Raleigh. This event celebrated eight regional principals who have demonstrated effective leadership skills by making a positive difference in their school, district, and community. They were recognized by our state superintendent, Dr. June Atkinson, and CEO Bill Harrison. I was fortunate to serve on the North Central regional selection committee this past January to select Matt Wight from Apex High School in Wake County. The regional finalists had to participate in a second interview with the state selection committee (which included Cindi Rigsbee, NC Teacher of the Year). This committee is charged with traveling across the state to visit each finalist's school to conduct in-depth interviews with faculty, staff, students, and parents.
Deborah Morris, 2008 North Carolina Principal of the Year, was one of the speakers for this formal event. She emphasized that a leader is not great from the "power" received, but the relationships formed. She also quoted that principals are the ones who ride out the rough waves to ensure smooth waters for the teachers and students. I was empowered by listening to the quick introduction of each finalist because each administrator was very deserving of the award. I was not able to hear the drum roll when the new NC Principal of the Year was announced, but Cindi called and let me know the winner...Congratulations is extended to Mr. Vann Pennell from South Brunswick High School in Brunswick County Schools.

So why was this emotional? I wasn't saddened by this announcement at all, but as I was surrounded by my other teacher of the year team members, I realized our year was coming to an end together. Even though we are on opposite ends of the state, all busy with school responsibilities and just life in general, we have all connected. I will miss seeing them and hope to stay in touch.

On the way home proved to be an emotional roller coaster. Since I was rushing back to Troy to arrive at Page Street in a timely manner for conferences, I had to drive through Moore County. As I drove through Carthage, my heart ached to remember the Pine Lake Nursing Home incident that occurred this past week. My thoughts and prayers remain with the victims and families of this tragedy, including two people who from Highfalls. I also noticed many changes in this small town that were never there when I was a camp counselor for Moore Summer Fun at Carthage Elementary. Carthage was the county seat, and served as half way point when driving to Pinehurst for doctor appointments and to visit mom at work. I always admired the beautiful homes and elegant churches found in this town. We also clogged every May for the annual Buggy Festival. Therefore, Carthage was always a familiar place for growing up, which made it harder to accept such a brutal act of violence a few weeks ago.

As I continued to drive up Hwy 24/27, my tears began to fall. I passed the road that took me home to Highfalls. I still could not believe how much things had changed in this area. Just noticing the houses that look desolate that once looked full of life. It was inevitable that the economic crisis had drastically hit northern Moore County. Gas stations and local stores had shut down, and everything appeared empty. I approached the flashing caution lights at Robbins Crossroads and immediately thought about the gang shooting that happened in this small town involving two North Moore High School students. The place where I attended high school!
The place where I always felt safe and never thought anything bad would happen in such a quaint neighborhood. This proved that we are not "sheltered" anywhere...

Well after an emotional day, I realize time helps everything...and it is okay to have "those days"...

No comments:

Post a Comment